Wednesday 16 April 2014

Albums 2014: February/March

Yes, there are less albums in February AND March combined than in January:-

 22)  AFI ‘The Art of Drowning’ (2000)
·         A recommendation from Liz F, but no comments from me (I wrote nothing down). Sorry!

23)  Joni Mitchell ‘Blue’ (1971) and ‘Ladies of the Canyon’ (1970)
·         Amazing! This was a recommendation from Liz C, I never expected to be a Joni Mitchell fan and I love it and want to devour her whole discography. This has become a default for listening to at work.

24)  Limp Bizkit ‘Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavoured Water’ (2000)
·         Both James and Aidan told me to listen to this one. On a first listen, I really liked it musically, particularly the later songs (from ‘My Way’.) But I do dislike the excessive use of the F word (I’m generally fine with swearing in songs to a point. This is beyond the point and just irritated me.)

25)  The Piano Guys ‘The Piano Guys’ (2012)
·         An excellent recommendation from Sian. These guys have been on the edge of my consciousness for a while, not least seeing a video of theirs in a Christmas morning service, but I’ve never actually listened. A lot of fun and musically brilliant too.

26)  ‘Reckless Love’ by Reckless Love (2010)
·         This one was a recommendation from Adrian, who then disagreed strongly when I called it ‘cheese’. It is 'Finnish glam metal' according to Wikipedia. However, it feels like the kind of music you would sing your head off to at a 80s party, and thus 'cheese'. Thoroughly enjoyable.

27)  Arcade Fire ‘Funeral’(2004) Rob F and others
·         Technically I think I had heard this before. I like it.

28)  Death Cab for Cutie 'Plans' (2005)
·         Another one from Simon T and Peter H. I like it.

29)  Pain of Salvation “Remedy Lane”  (2002)
·         I listened to this in a funny order, but I did really enjoy it. I was particularly enjoying ‘Thorn Clown’ until it went off on one in the last minute. (Recommendation by Peter H)

30)  Tom Waites ‘Closing Time’ (1967)
·         Another one for the ‘listened to driving’ list, and it suited. This was another recommendation from Simon R, and another one I liked.

31)  Quantic Soul Orchestra ‘Pushin On’ (2005)
·         I also listened to this in the car. The first tracks were a bit more frantic than the kind of music I like most, but I then really enjoyed it, and have enjoyed subsequent listens.

32)   Perfect Circle ‘Mer de Noms’ (2000)
·         I listened to this first with James, but I fell asleep. However, he was singing along with such joy that I couldn’t help but like it. When I listened to again, I was not convinced- perhaps partly because I was a bit uncomfortable with the imagery in ‘Magdalena’ and the sentiment in ‘Judith’.

33)  Rage against the Machine ‘Battle of Los Angeles’  (1999)
·         This (or their self-titled album) was recommended by a number of people, notably Aidan, James and Len. Now my reaction was possibly not helped by the sound quality but: I really don’t get it. I realise it’s the kind of music I might not be expected to ‘get’ but there is heavier stuff I really like. This however; the one or two interesting riffs get boring fast, lyrically (where I can hear it) it does nothing for me, and there's not a sufficiently strong mosh-bass either. I can’t see a context where I’d want to listen to this- on a night out, one song would be plenty. And it is the screaming-type.

34)   Michael Jackson ‘Thriller’ (1982)
·         This was a recommendation by Jon, I think. Also I felt I should probably listen to it! It’s good ole’ pop, really. I didn’t realise so many of the classics were on this one album (Beat it, Billy jean, Thriller and Gotta be starting something). I also didn’t realise that the 90s classic ‘Right Here’ sampled Michael Jackson, namely ‘Human Nature’- although now I know it this is very obvious, his voice is distinctive! It was a fun fact to discover.

35)  Tori Amos ‘Boys for Pele’
·         This was another recommendation by Liz C, and as I’d loved her previous recommendation and I know the remix of ‘Professional Widow’ I had high hopes! I’m not sure what I think of it, but this could just be because it didn't live up to expectations.

Finally, a pledge: in April I will attempt to find new ways of expressing liking and enjoyment, as my use of the word 'like' in the above is prolific...

No comments:

Post a Comment