Saturday 17 April 2010

Storms

I am developing my theory, that you can tell a lot about a person by what they do in a rainstorm.

It's actually the dry season here at the moment, but it's not the kind of area where dry season implies no rain ever, or wet season implies constant rain. On Friday night I went to dinner with some American Jesuit volunteers living in the city, having met only one of them. I had a really good evening, but shortly after dinner the power started going out, making regular flashes of lightning in the distant sky more obvious. Discussions in the dark revealed, to my delight, that I am not the only person in the city who wants to run around the streets whenever it starts raining. However, I decided it would be smart to go home before the rain got really heavy, so I departed, and arrived home just in time (but stood in the pouring rain for a while anyway!)

As if this wasn't enough, I spent yesterday night at Corozal, a town near the Mexican border, where the Methodist Children and Youth Commission were leading a service this AM. And we had yet another fantastic storm (I use the word 'fantastic'; it was bordering on being alarming.) Lightning in the distance over the sea kept me entertained for a long while after the rain had passed.



But then I was sociable and went and watched a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment