Wednesday 5 May 2010

on the merits or otherwise of paul scholes as a holding midfielder

this isn't about football, I promise! More about cultural heritage (which happens, just sometimes, to be football).

As mentioned, I spent the weekend on caye caulker, and hanging out in a hostel, met various travellers. Where I was staying seemed to have a majority of mainland Europeans and Australians, but I also met some English guys (and girls, but mostly guys) with whom I fairly promptly entered into a discussion about football. In fact, I was mostly listening, but did make at least one intelligent comment (well, I was complimented for it, but men can compliment you for knowing the names of any player beyond beckham, so this doesn't say much). Anyway, it was very refreshing to talk about football- and not just to talk about football, but to talk about football to blokes from Hull over a beer.

Which I claim, by a stretch of the imagination, to be something to do with cultural heritage.

1 comment:

  1. did i tell you of the time in belize when i sat on the sofa in the lamb's house and watched an entire 90mins of a man united match? i have never watched an entire man u match at any other time in my life. yay for cultural heritage!

    ReplyDelete