Wednesday 5 May 2010

ooooooh heaven is a place on earth

and it's called caye caulker

(sorry to be blasphemous)

Anyway, I took a few days off for a trip out to caye caulker, which I have heard much raving about, and didn't believe could be as good as promised. However, despite loving to insist I'm an inland girl really, and prefer rocks and mountains and waterfalls and mountain streams to islands... I may be addicted. the island is a few miles long, and mostly narrower than one mile. It is three minutes on a boat from the barrier reef, and in every way wonderful. It's quite a travellers hideout but there's still a strong local presence with churches and a school, and in my experience, just really welcoming. Went snorkelling, saw stingrays and at least one nurse shark (which collided with my leg) and a barracuda (I think). Watched the sunset, twice. Swam in the sea. Read a lot. Met random travellers. Got the wanderlust!

lovely.

1 comment:

  1. WOW. It sounds idylic! I absoultely LOVE islands, snorkelling, sunsets and sea :) Wich I could've been there. Photos please x

    ReplyDelete